One of Burundi's vice presidents has fled to Belgium, saying he had been threatened after denouncing President Pierre Nkurunziza's bid for a third term in office, an allegation denied by Burundi's government.
Opponents say the president's move is unconstitutional. The political struggle has ignited bloody unrest and Burundi's worst crisis since an ethnically charged civil war ended in 2005.
"I took the decision to leave the country because I was personally threatened," Gervais Rufyikiri, who had held the post of second vice president, told France 24 television from Belgium on Wednesday.
"All who are against the third term are threatened. I personally was fearing for my security since I saw some signals."
A presidential spokesman said there had been no threat to Rufyikiri.
In May, the vice president of Burundi's election commission and a senior judge fled the country, amid protests demanding Nkurunziza stand down. Tens of thousands of ordinary people have also gone to neighboring states to escape the unrest.
Opponents say the president's move is unconstitutional. The political struggle has ignited bloody unrest and Burundi's worst crisis since an ethnically charged civil war ended in 2005.
"I took the decision to leave the country because I was personally threatened," Gervais Rufyikiri, who had held the post of second vice president, told France 24 television from Belgium on Wednesday.
"All who are against the third term are threatened. I personally was fearing for my security since I saw some signals."
A presidential spokesman said there had been no threat to Rufyikiri.
In May, the vice president of Burundi's election commission and a senior judge fled the country, amid protests demanding Nkurunziza stand down. Tens of thousands of ordinary people have also gone to neighboring states to escape the unrest.

No comments:
Post a Comment